The Variation Register is used to record changes to the contract, especially those impacting on payment. Each Variation can be linked to Lots, Schedule Items and Photos. Civil Pro’s Variations are NOT added to the Progress Claim. Instead, the Variation Register has the New Schedule from Variation function, which – as per the label on the tin – provides an easy interface to add a new Schedule Items and link it to the relevant Variation. This is described below.
The Variation Register is accessed from the Payment section of the Main Menu.
- Variation Number – a unique identifier for each Variation
- Description – a description of the Variation
- Client Ref – an optional field to store an alternative reference such as one used by the client
- Date Identified – the date the Variation was identified
- Date Notified – the date the Variation was notified to the client
- Date Approved – the date the Variation was approved by the client
- Variation Status – the current status of the Variation. Available values are in the Variation Status Register
- EOT Days – the number of days EOT related to this Variation
- Raised By – who raised or is responsible for this Variation
- Notes – comments regarding the Variation
Adding a new Variation
To create a new Variation, click on the New Variation button in the Register Menu. This will start the New Variation Wizard. As with all Civil Pro forms, only the coloured fields are compulsory.
The new variation wizard
- When the New Variation Wizard starts, you will be prompted to specify the description, key dates, current status, client reference and any EOT as appropriate. The raised by field is completed automatically. Enter the data and click Next.
- The next screen prompts to add any related Lots. Add the Lots and notes (if required) and click Next.
- Review the summary and either click Finish to complete, or click the back arrow button in the top left to return to previous page.
Updating a Variation
To update an variation, either:
- Enable Editing using the button at the left end of the Register Menu, or use the Context Menu option to do the same. Then directly update data in the grid.
- Update any field directly in the Detail Panel. If the Detail Panel is not visible, double click any record to show it.
Updating the variation number
If you need to edit the Variation Number, this can only be done using the Detail Panel:
- Invoke the context menus for the Variation Detail Panel (right click on any of the grey area in the Detail Panel) – refer to the Lot Register section on Editing Lot Numbers for more information.
- Select the Edit Variation Number function.
- Edit the Variation Number to the desired, unique Variation Number.
Deleting a variation
To delete a record:
- Enable Editing and select the record to delete.
- Press the delete key.
Variations are linked to Lots during their creation. These relationships are listed in the Related Items Panel and can be added/deleted as described in the Adding, Updating and Deleting topic.
The New Schedule from VRN/Update Related Schedule Item function is accessed from the Context Menu. This function creates/updates a Schedule Item based on the Variation so that it can be quantified in the relevant Lot and claimed in the Progress Claim. When this function is invoked, the following page is shown:
- Update the Schedule Number and description if required. Also provide details of the schedule rate, qty and unit.
- The Is Variation check box simply marks the new Schedule item with a tag indicating it is not part of the original Schedule.
- The Associate With… check box creates a link between the new Schedule Item and the Variation
Click Create and a new Schedule Item and (optionally) links to the current variation will be created.